Sunday, April 12, 2009

happy easter!

im back from...BRUXELLES/BRUSSELS!!
i decided to solo-trip for the first time to a place i have never been before. im glad to announce i came back in a piece and did not get myself into any troubles.
i got myself a guidebook when i started planning my trip. unfortunately, i couldn't track down a bruxelles cartoville so i went for 'un grand-weekend a breuxelles' published by hachette instead. yep, a french guidebook written about another city that speaks french. now now, let me tell you about cartoville- the BEST guidebook/map out there. not kidding. i still carry my paris one with me all the time. the pocket-sized guidebook is perfect because it divides the city map into smaller very detailed sections, usually by neighborhoods. this means i can look at it descretely enough without plastering a "i'm a tourist" sign across my forehead- looking like a fool while attracting gypsies who try to trick people with gold rings. definitely get a cartoville if you are looking for a guidebook.
enough about that, so i set off friday morning from gare du nord on the burgundy red thalys train. its a short 1hr 20mins train ride from paris. i got in gare du midi of brussels around noon- what a sketch train station. ughh, this is the part where i start hating the idea of traveling alone. i guess its mostly becuase the fact that its europe and i'm a girl. well...being in paris has taught me to keep my earphones in at all times and power walk. oh and girls? creeptors are everywhere, NEVER EVER make eye contacts or you just might have to run for your life.

so heres DAY 1:
the weather was great, warmer than paris except the wind kind of got out of control. i sat on the patio for lunch and the bread almost flew away.
maison du roi
hotel de ville
grand place
lunch at le roy d'espagne, the entrace has a king charles bust
ohhh candies...i might have gone in if the girl didn't look like she was going to eat me
bourse
galerie de la reine
librarie saint-hubert this is probably my favorite spot in brussels. i LOVE this bookstore period.
i wish it was my private library. its a fine arts bookstore with a huge selection of photograph books and all that. i went there twice in 3 days.
the tintin store
a random wall that led me to:this kid. i didn't even plan it, i got a waffle and turned to see him standing right there.on my way back to the hotel
tbc...

1 comment:

  1. Omigoodness! I was just there!

    I hope you had a lovely times chez Bruxelles!

    ReplyDelete